Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sick...Sort of...

I ended this week doing something that I hadn't planned on doing...I blew the head gasket in my car and woke up with no voice and a headache! I also needed to go to school because our school is having an "Open House" but with no transportation that made things a little complicated...I thought I would start my Saturday with one of my very favorite poems from Shel Silverstein. Every time I read this, it makes me smile and I hope that it brings a smile to your face too...


"Sick"
By Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue -
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke -
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is - what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

So my friends...when things don't go your way do something good to yourself to make you smile and you just may be pleasantly surprised!

Check me out...here I am all dressed up but with nowhere to go! But I won't let "nuthin' get me down!" Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Courtney and the Boys said...

Oh, I love Shel Silverstein!!!! This one is a classic. Perfect. Hope your car troubles are behind you! :)

Librarian or Teacher said...

Shel Silverstein has always been a favorite of mine!