Saturday, February 21, 2009

And the Winner is...



When I was in high school, I lived in San Diego which is 2 hours away from Los Angeles. A couple of years in a row, my father happened be in that area doing business and my mother and I hung out at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion (this was before the Kodak Theater was built) to watch the rehearsals for the Academy Awards. We were such fans and would wait at the back entrance as celebrities would go in and out to rehearse for the BIG event...THE OSCARS.

I saw many celebrities - Lauren Bacall, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Ginger Rogers just to name a few. It will probably be the only time in my life that I had such a close encounter with celebrities and I loved every minute of it. Who doesn't like going to the movies and seeing their favorite celebrity up on the big screen? Yes...I am a fan of the movies and yes, I have made phony acceptance speeches in the mirror as I held my hair brush, pretending it was an Oscar! Call me crazy, silly or just plain "star struck," but I live for this time of year!

Well this year is NO different. I have my "designer gown" all picked out...a beautiful shade of pink sweats, my bucket of popcorn and my picks for the winners. So who do I think will win? Here is my list...

Best Supporting Actor - It will and should go to Heath Ledger. He was amazing as the Joker in The Dark Night and he deserves it. His performance sent chills down my spine! What a loss...

Best Supporting Actress - I so wish for a tie in this category. Viola Davis was phenomenal in Doubt. She had a powerful scene where she held her own playing against Meryl Streep. I also liked Penelope Cruz's performance in Vicky, Christina Barcelona as the crazed ex-wife of Javier Bardem. (Can I just say...I LOVE Javier Bardem? I do, I do!)

Best Actress - As much as I love "my Angelina" and want her to adopt me or at least babysit her children, it's not her year. It will be Kate Winslet for The Reader and she is due but then again I am hearing whispers that it could be Meryl Streep for Doubt. No doubt about it, it is going to be exciting to see who wins!

Best Actor - I love you Brad Pitt but I don't think it is going to be you my friend! It is either going to be Mickey Rourke or Sean Penn...I am hoping for Mickey. His beloved dog just died and I love a good comeback story. Also, 9 1/2 Weeks was one of the first R rated movies I ever saw and I thought he was hot! He was a bad boy back then and I had a thing for bad boys! (Okay, I STILL do) "Wink! Wink!"

Best Movie - Hands down, it's going to be Slum Dog Millionaire. It was touching, exciting and heartbreaking and if it doesn't win I will be very surprised! This one has "Oscar" written all over it.

Well there you have it in a nutshell...Robin's Oscar Picks for 2009. I am so excited. Hugh Jackman will be the host (I "heart" him and his accent) and they say that the show is going to be action packed and full of surprises. "Yippie, Skippy!" So if you're in the area, put on your "designer gown," bring some snacks and come on over and we'll have an evening of fun, fun, FUN!

UPDATE - Well the Oscars are over and I did fairly good on my predictions! I should have made bets in Vegas! LOL...too bad Mickey didn't win..."sniff, sniff."

1 comment:

Wayne said...

hey robin great oscar summery