Monday, June 21, 2010

Lil' Blue Scooter

This is my lil' buddy Anthony! I have known him since he was in preschool and have had the privilege of having him in my summer school class! I love him so very much! His grandmother is our school bus driver and Anthony and his sister live with her. Anthony had a little scooter that he talked about and when it got run over by a car it just about broke my heart! Enter my cousin Austin...he had a scooter in his shed that he no longer used and said that I could have it if I wanted it. Which is just what I did.

Well, as you can see, this was one sad little scooter and since I didn't have enough money for a new one I knew that this would have to do. So...I channeled my inner Martha Stewart and made a feeble attempt to give it an "Extreme Scooter Makeover!" Since Anthony's favorite color is blue I tried to spray paint it "Ultra Blue" but the spray paint only made it look worse! However, I refused to be defeated and when I saw one of our maintenance crew painting the rails around our school I asked what kind of paint that they used and enter Rustoleum "Tranquil Blue" paint to the rescue! It took several coats of paint but I was finally able to get the look that I was trying to achieve. Then I added some new wheels and attempted to replace the handlebars. Again thank goodness for the maintenance men for those handle grips just would NOT budge!

Then for the finishing touches I found these cute little sticker decals with alphabet letters and I wrote out his name and also since I knew that Anthony was a fan of Spiderman, I added a couple of Spiderman stickers as well. Also, when I applied the stickers I added a clear finishing gloss so that they wouldn't peel off. I was pleased with the results and as you can see...

So was Anthony! Enjoy your lil' scooter buddy! It was made with LOTS OF LOVE!


1 comment:

Bridget said...

This is so sweet! That's one happy kiddo-you did a great job!