Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tribute Tuesday


My blogger friend Wayne created "Tribute Tuesday" where we take time in our lives to honor those friends and family who are near and dear to us. This week I chose Jim and Irene. They are the parents of my best friend Carla. You see, I grew up as an only child and longed for brothers and sisters. My parents always told me that once they had me they "threw away the mold!" I think that what they really meant was that one "perfect" (okay, maybe not quite perfect) child was WAY more than enough! LOL...

My "Other" Parents...Sweet Irene and Jim...Aren't they just precious!?


Anyways, when we moved to San Diego, there was a family that lived across the street from us and they had a four children...three girls and one boy. Well, they had one little girl named Carla that was the same age as I! We were inseparable! We were the preschool version of "Lucy and Ethel." I loved being at Carla's house with all of the noise and activity that always took place. She loved being at my house where it was peaceful and quiet...and boring! Zzzzz!

Carla's parents were wonderful! In fact they called me their "Daughter Number 4!" I was a part of their family suppers, birthdays, holidays and even went on vacations with them! Jim was also my junior high Spanish teacher. I so wanted to impress him that I studied my tail off just to get good grades because I wanted to please him so. He also blessed and mentored me when I chose to become a teacher many years later.

Together we have shared joys and heartache and I am eternally grateful for their love and devotion that they shared not only with each other but to me as well. While I have grown up and moved away, I still stay in touch with them and my visits with them are deeply treasured. From Jim and Irene I have learned that it isn't just "flesh and blood" that makes a family. It is love and devotion that does. I love you Jim and Irene with all of my heart. Thank you for taking me under your strong wings and helping to make "this little Robin" fly!

4 comments:

International emboridery said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nati @ I will praise Him said...

This is a wonderful tribute!!! Thank you for sharing

Wayne said...

Hey robin What a loverly tribute to Jim and Irene. They sound like such wonderful people and you shoule show them this tribute because I think its so sweet and I'm sure they would love it. Thankyou for taking part in tribute tuesday again robin

Jennifer said...

It's always nice to find a "second set" of parents. What a sweet tribute to them! Thanks for sharing.